By tracking your electricity consumption and costs over a day, week, month, season and year, you can make informed decisions about how to save energy – and money.
How can I take charge of my power bill?
It is surprisingly simple to make changes that help you take charge of your power bill.
An average Australian family can make changes that add up to hundreds of dollars a year in savings. For example:
- Hot water is often the biggest energy user in your house. Washing clothes in cold water can save you around $115 per year.
- Appliances are responsible for as much as a third of your energy bill. Get rid of the second fridge and save yourself around $140 per year.
- Switch your electric clothes dryer off and use the clothesline. Wind and sun can save you around $63 per year.
- Standby power is the invisible enemy. Switch gaming consoles off at the wall and save around $160 per year.
- If you choose a flexible pricing plan, shifting the time of day you use your dishwasher, washing machine and clothes dryer to off peak times could save you up to $160 annually.
Take a walk through the interactive energy-efficient house to see how you could make a change to your power usage and take charge of your bill. Tips include home insulation, weatherproofing and efficient water heating.
Having a better understanding of what makes up your overall electricity power bill can also help you make savings.
Use the Energy Calculator to compare your power usage with other households.
Discover what it costs to run the 10 most popular appliances.
Get energy-saving tips for each room as we take you through the interactive energy-efficient house.
Take charge of your power bills with 10 helpful tips for the summer months.
Find out if you are eligible for concessions and rebates.
Discover how to negotiate a better retail electricity deal.
Flexible pricing means different rates for electricity at different times of the day. See if the option of flexible pricing could help you save.
The Victorian Government’s Energy Saver Incentive is making energy efficiency more affordable at home and work by offering discounts and special offers on selected energy saving products and appliances from participating businesses.
Smart Meters present new opportunities not possible with previous meter technology. Discover how you can benefit from your Smart Meter and its data.
Take charge of your power bill by tracking your electricity consumption.
Understanding what costs make up your power bill can help you work out an energy-saving plan.