Get the best deal for your household
Are you paying too much for the power you use? Find out by comparing energy retailers and the contracts they offer.
There are many energy retailers in Victoria, each offering different cost per kilowatt hour prices and contracts. You might not even have to change retailer, you could simply move to a different contract - it is always worth asking!
Questions you may wish to ask an energy retailer include:
- What is the cost per kilowatt hour?
- What are the fixed costs or service fees?
- What are the options for the length of the contract?
- Are there lower rates for longer contracts?
- Does the contract say that prices can go up during the contract?
- Are there incentives or penalties for early or late payment?
- Can I make payments from a bank account, credit card or cash?
- Would I have to pay an exit fee to get out of the contract early?
For more information to assist you when searching for the best possible deal from an electricity retailer, see yourchoice.vic.gov.au
Your power bill is a major part of your household expense and it pays to shop around. Just as there are many different prices and contracts for mobile phones, there are many different options for electricity. Some contracts include dual fuel deals (electricity and gas from the same supplier) and other offers and incentives.
YourChoice is an independent Government resource that helps you compare energy prices, and find the sort of contract that will best suit your household.
The quality and quantity of your supply will not change if you go to a different retailer, or move to a different contract with your own retailer. You may need to make arrangements to provide access to your electricity meter.
Yes, you do have a grace period. If you change your mind after starting a contract you can stop it for free in the first 5 – 10 business days. If you contacted the retailer, you have at least five business days to cancel the contract. If the retailer approached you first, you will have 10 business days after receiving the signed contract. Check YourChoice for more details.